Friday, April 15, 2011

If you're happy and you know it.. bugger off.

There's this kid I know and I am convinced he must be the most optimistic, happy person ever. 
As in he makes rainbows look emo..
Like if something bad happened to him, something awful, I'm pretty sure he'd keep his head up and go on smiling. 

Usually, people like this make me want to hit them in the face. (which I do, 'cause I'm a ninja.)
Especially when I have my 90s Bon Jovi tunes cranked and all I want to do is wallow in a pool of my own misery. Let me be dammit! 

This time however, his attitude made me feel quite pathetic. No one's life is all white beaches, blue skies and a bit of sunscreen all the time. I'm sure he's had his days too. But here I was writing THOSE Facebook statuses and crying while I watched Finding Nemo, when he was just taking it all in his stride. 

And if there's one thing I refuse to be, it's pathetic. -_-

I figured out that being happy isn't something we're supposed to run towards, like a destination we'll arrive at if we work hard enough. Being happy is a choice. And you have to keep making it, over and over again, all day, every day. 

At first, it'll just seem like a broken series of happy moments, but then those moments band together and become hours and days of happiness. Suddenly, being happy isn't a goal, it's deciding to be happy because your jeans make your ass look awesome or because your friend attempted to drink and talk at the same time at lunch or because your favourite sport team finally quit sucking. 

So if you want to be happy, just do it. Be happy. There are a million reasons why you should smile every day. 

:) Here's his blog address if you're keen to follow some interweb happiness - if he would freaken update it once in a while. :) http://adoseofdan.blogspot.com/ 

"It is not the place, nor the condition, but the mind alone that can make anyone happy or miserable."
Roger L’Estrange

Peace. ♥ ♥ 


2 comments:

  1. Deep!im going to live by this now, start seeing happiness as a life choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust is a virtue someone should earn not taken for granted! Sometimes people should be happy with the truth they recieve and think, what if this has happened before but it wasnt with someone i knew. Would i have found out if the person i trusted the most betrayed me and i never knew it! Food for though! Get procrastinating people!

    ReplyDelete