Thursday, May 10, 2012

....She had a crazy look in her eyes...

Yesterday I happened to walk past a blood donation drive on campus. Nothing out of the ordinary, minding my own business. All of a sudden, a little nurse popped out in front me.

"Wouldn't you like to donate blood?" She chirped at me. I do NOT like chirpy people. But I politely told her that I couldn't because I didn't weigh enough. (I've never weighed enough, so I knew it for a fact.) Miss Chirp waved her hand in dismissal and said, "It's okay poppet, we can check now. It might have gone up." I definitely would NOT have liked that. But chirpy people rarely take no for an answer so I decided to just go along with it.

Nervously I stepped onto the scale. I watched the numbers jump around and finally settle. I looked at her triumphantly as the scale proved once and for all that I was not heavy enough. As I bent to pick up my bag and books, Miss Chirp snatched up my arm. For a moment I thought she was going to stick a needle in and take my blood by force. My brain shouted RUN! RUN! RUN!

"You have suuuuuch beautiful veins!" She said as she peered excitedly at my arm.

...Veins? Really? What sort of creepy nurse are you?! I wondered to myself. I've heard a lot of compliments but that has not been one of them. She continued to examine my arm and I mumbled something about having to be somewhere. (I really didn't.)

"So-and-so, you have to come and see this." She chirped across the table to her friend. So-and-so moved across like it was the most painful, tedious thing she had ever had to do. She bent down slightly and looked at my arm.

"Yes, yes I see what you mean. We could do her in a prick or two."

I stared in disbelief at the scene that was unfolding before my eyes. I didn't know whether to feel happy or terrified, which results in a strange fearful confusion. After a few minutes, they released my arms from their treacherous grasps and I fled the building.

Looking back, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if the sight of all that blood didn't make me feel nervous, then Miss Chirp and So-and-so definitely did the job. I shall be steering clear of blood donation drives from now for fear having another needle-happy nurse near my BEAUTIFUL veins.

:D

Here's what I wore today. I haven't worn my string of pearls
in ages, so I thought it was time to bring them out again. 
Floral and pearls.
You just can't go wrong with that combination. 
Get me a floral anything and pearls and I will be the happiest chap. 
I was definitely born in the wrong decade. 
I want floral and pearls and hats and gloves, god dammit, 
I want to wear gloves! (To shield my veins from curious nurses...)

I'm off to get some work done now. It's Friday tomorrow. :D :D 

Kisses. 

Star*

No comments:

Post a Comment