Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Childhood Memories: The Swing of Swings

It's hard to believe now but as a kid, I spent most of time on my gran's farm out in Natal. I don't really know how I got from being a messy little farm kid to where I am now, so I'll leave that for you to figure out - but what I will tell you, is that growing up on a farm has left me with some amazing memories.

One of my best memories is of an enormous swing that we used to have. The poles and bars were have steel poles and were taller than a house, taller than the average tree! (I swear, I'm not exaggerating.) There long chains that hung down and I remember that my hands only just closed around them. The wooden seat was low, at knee height for a kid.

Whenever, I had half a chance, I would go down to play on the swings. Of course, as all children are, I was incredibly unaware of danger. And so, instead of sitting down and swinging like a good little girl, I would stand on the seat and swing as high as I could go. 


I can still remember the feeling of the wind rushing into my face as I swung forward, and that single moment when you were suspended in the air before rushing back again. Even though my tummy turned a little when I swung back, I would still push as hard as I could to go higher and higher. Sometimes, I went high enough to see over the house, into the plantations on the other side.

I think, if you ever want to feel like a kid again, all you would have to do is spend a few minutes on a swing and all the inhibitions of adulthood would just disappear... 


If I ever have children one day, I hope that they can have an enormous swing too. Every child deserves a good swing. Children never just swing back and forth - they try to swing as high as they can, try to jump off when the swing reaches its highest point, wind the ropes so they can spin around in circles...

A good swing makes you fearless and the older we get, the more fears and doubts we collect in our back pockets. If only we hadn't stopped swinging...


Kisses.

Star*

2 comments:

  1. Even though I'm all grown up now, I still love a good swinging session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I still had one or I would too. :) x

    ReplyDelete